Senior Systems Engineer
Under limited oversight, responsible include, but not limited to, solution development, deployment, and integration with third party technologies. The role includes systems administration, along with the development of reports and utilities (including dashboards, PHP scripting and threshold analysis and creation) that complement the our client's product set along with the ability to provide consultative guidance in network and infrastructure performance optimization to key customers. Position level exposes individual to more complex tasks within job function.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to the following: (% of time): 80%
• Provides consulting expertise to clients in the areas of network and infrastructure optimization
• Responsible for ensuring onsite as Our Client's Product Champion: Coach & mentor in the operation of their products and utilities
• Works on-site in customer environments in collaboration with non-client personnel
• Provides guidance and assistance in installation & configuration of Client's technology
• Under moderate guidance develops more complex solutions and integrations with third party technologies
• Provides support in the development of integration test cases and guidance in the execution of the tests
• Provides assistance in developing configurations appropriate to supporting products including devices and/or EMS’s
• Accurately captures and defines project requirements and relaying these to Client's Product Management
• Interacts closely with Client's Product Management and Development to ensure that deliverables are delivered in a timely and aligned fashion with the Client's roadmap
• Monitors and tunes the system software to achieve optimum performance levels, efficiency and reliability
• Diagnoses and resolves system software problems
• Develops and maintains a comprehensive system software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
• Develops and maintains run-books for all support purposes.
• Monitors and ensures compliance with, all appropriate IT standards (eg. Security, Architecture, Project Delivery Methodology, SOX, etc.)
• Responsible for ensuring that assigned projects are developed to the plan and the timescales agreed. As such, they are responsible for regular communication regarding progress as well as for proactively identifying and communicating any issue that arises through the project.
20% Perform other duties as required or directed
Supervisory Responsibility: none
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer related subject or able to demonstrate equivalent work experience
- 5 years networking & internet work experience as operator, engineer or tools integrator
- Strong knowledge of SOAP, Rest API, XML
- Strong consulting experience in a network or infrastructure environment
- RDBMS (preferably MySQL) experience is highly desired
- Experience administering and integrating network management systems is highly desired.
- Experience of full software development lifecycle (from analysis through development, test, delivery, in-service, disposal) is desirable
- Strong Linux and Unix, including shell, experience required
- Client's product experience is desirable
- Quick learner to have the ability to pick up new technologies quickly as well as changing
- Demonstrated traits in adaptability and flexibility to work in a fast-paced changing environment
- Demonstration of time and deadline management
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate technical details to both experts and novices
- Ability to work as part of a team and be self-sufficient
- Good people skills and ability to deal with all levels of personnel and senior management
Physical Demands -The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
-Extensive prolonged computer use, prolonged sitting
-Hand/eye coordination for computer work
-Walking, standing for long periods of time may be required, especially when presenting or at customer sites,
-Professional Services is a Services organization as such requires occasional flexible schedule changes to
accommodate clients and includes occasional weekend coverage
Working Environment: Remote. May be required to work in a common area along with other vendors who also support the same customer.