Senior Server Engineer
Providence, RI 02903 US
Reporting to the Manager of Server Engineering, the Senior Server Engineer is responsible for enterprise level design and expert level knowledge of server environment both physical and virtual. Incumbent focuses on architectural server engineering that encompasses performance security scalability best practice design, and orchestration of server virtualization to provide cost effective service delivery. Individual is responsible for performance management and reporting on all enterprise-wide servers. Individual also provides expert level support for Infrastructure projects and personnel. The position requires team leadership role in the development and control of all server infrastructure.
- Provides leadership in design engineering of enterprise-wide servers to provide optimized applications and system performance across the locations.
- Leads design and implementation projects involving next generation server technologies including hyper-convergence and virtualization of server delivery where possible. Designs architectural integrity (end to end) for successful implementation of new technologies. Provides expert level support to other engineers and personnel within the team.
- Leads projects to evaluate test select and implement hardware software and strategies for achieving security high availability and flexibility in all aspects of systems delivery including server physical and virtual appliances application content management and performance management/monitoring.
- Performs planning in all levels of server technologies including convergence and virtualization technologies and competitive performance to maximize return on investment.
- Ensures best practice change management processes for all devices.
- Oversees configuration and firmware/software/hardware installation and operational process for enterprise-wide appliances. To maintain consistent configuration in keeping with vendor recommendations for patch level and error/bug handling.
- Responsible for consolidation and reporting of performance and capacity enterprise wide.
- Responsible for maintaining documentation drawings designs for server and system architecture enterprise wide.
- Researches and recommends new server technologies and upgrades to existing technologies to support business needs.
- Acts as resource for IS department system vendors business partners and other personnel with problem identification and resolution in all enterprise-wide technologies.
- Assists in determining the needs’ structure staffing and systems required to deliver world class capabilities to all affiliates.
- Promotes cost-saving green technologies by investigating and implementing all opportunities for virtualization of resources.
- Provides support for all IS strategic and tactical projects where server support is required.
Establishes benchmark criteria on utilization of all enterprise-wide server equipment. Recommends and implements actions necessary to meet the service level requirements of organization.
- Maintains up-to-date technical knowledge by attending seminars vendor presentations and reading professional literature.
- Participates in councils’ quality improvement teams and other such committees as required.
- Maintains quality assurance safety environmental and infection control in accordance with established hospital and departmental policies procedures and objectives.
- Provides upper management with the following as required: new technology demonstrations and education; feasibility studies; affiliate needs and requirements; project plans; implementation strategies; budgetary and cost analysis; task preparedness; progress reports; documented customer feedback; and quarterly server operational review.
- Five or more years increasingly more responsible related work experience in server systems analysis/design
- Including at least two years of related engineering experience reflecting server architectural design for a multi-site high availability server infrastructure.
- High availability high-capacity multilayer design
- Security design including embedded security/performance intelligence
- Extranet technologies including firewall and Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Performance assessment with focus on multilayer virtualization of service delivery
- Optimization and transport over various server technologies
- Server disaster recovery
- TCP/IP including IPv6
- Project management experience
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to design technical solutions to meet business needs
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Electrical Engineering IS or related field preferred.
- Advanced degree a plus.
- Knowledge of Cisco Citrix Dell and VMWare architectures security virtualization and server architecture.
- Exposure to EMC storage connectivity a plus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Normal office environment
- Some off-hours work