Lead Design System Engineer
The Lead Design System Engineer will serve as a technical lead for a moderately complex, react-based, statistically-generated site in a highly regulated industry using Agile methodology. The successful candidate will be collaborating directly with external stakeholders (including clients, designers, and a UX lead) to define requirements, and develop both a well-defined and documented design system, and a production site utilizing that system.
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
● Given strategic guidance and wireframes, collaborate with designer and UX lead to develop modular, context-agnostic components
● Create and execute a plan to develop components in a timely manner with minimal oversight from senior team members
● Develop components using modern responsive design patterns, keeping in mind modularity and context independence (eg. not over-relying on breakpoints and media queries)
● Participate in code reviews and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback to more junior developers working with them
● Collaborate with senior team members on project requirements and proofs-of-concept.
● Develop and maintain the documentation of the Design System using Storybook and InVision Design System Manager (DSM)
QUALIFICATIONS (must have all of the following)
● Experience developing at least 4 in-production websites using React
● Previous experience developing a Design System, preferably using an Atomic Design framework
● Experience with CSS-in-JS patterns (styled-components preferred)
● Proficiency Proficient with Git, Git Flow, and online Git Platforms (Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket, etc.)
● Experience leading a team of developers in an Agile environment
● Agency experience preferred
● Experience with Gatsby for static-site generation
● Experience in defining / normalizing relations between data (similar to scaffolding out database tables for related data).
What makes us a fit for you?
● We maintain a sensitivity to life commitments and needs.
● We foster a positive work environment.
● We develop developers. We really want you to grow.
● We help each other. No one here is above learning or sharing.
● We focus on a community-building culture, with the following values: https://github.com/kmiddlesworth/work-readme
What makes you a fit for us?
● Meticulous attention to visual detail
● A desire to grow
● Thinks big picture
● Desire to help others
● Ideas for how we can improve