Desktop Engineer (CTZJP00002402)
Boston, MA 02101 US | Fully Remote TELECOMMUTE US
The Desktop Engineer performs a critical role in defining and implementing the end user delivery strategy. This role within the Colleague Technology Services department offers the opportunity to lead the evolution of end user virtual computing technology across the enterprise. Leads the design and build of detailed infrastructure solutions/repeatable patterns (build-kits) for non-production and production environments; transitioning knowledge to infrastructure operations; and lead level 3 support.
The ideal candidate is an expert IT End User Engineer who has proven experience designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining a standard end user delivery model. The Colleague Technology Compute Engineering Manager applies this expertise across all aspects of the end user service design framework to deliver a superior colleague experience which is scalable, sustainable, and supportable.
Technology Scope of Position
- This position is focused on virtual computing technologies, but a deep understanding of end user computer, collaboration & productivity, and directory services is a plus.
- The focus of this role is operating systems, virtual computer, device management, application discovery, packaging and distribution, browsers, and administrative scripting.
- Product space includes Citrix, Citrix Workspace, VMWare, Virtual Apps & Desktops, SCCM & MEM, MDT/OSD, Azure Virtual Desktop, Windows 365 Cloud PC, Amazon AppStream & Workspaces, PowerShell/VBScript
- Troubleshoot complex application issues within the end user environment.
Develop automated tools for information gathering and configuration changes within the workstation environment
- Work closely with CTS architecture to improve the environment
- Research, Develop and implement monitoring tools that can be used by Operations
- Work closely with Operations to resolve issues and provide recommendations to improve the delivery of services
- Occasionally work with Business lines to define requirements to provide technical guidance
- Ability to occasionally work or assign work during nights/weekends during critical incidents or major project implementations
- Provide input and/or direct teammates handling critical incidents, outages and root cause analysis.
- Maintain currency in end user market trends and participate in industry workgroups as needed.
- Expert knowledge in several areas in this role’s technology scope.
- Solid understanding of virtual compute technologies
- VMWare ESXI, vCenter, virtual machine & virtual appliance configuration
Azure/AWS Certifications a plus
- Citrix application publishing, provisioning server, machine creation server, VDI persistent and non-persistent pool creation
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Cloud based VDI technologies: ex. Microsoft Azure Virtual Desktop, Windows 365 Cloud PC, Amazon AppStream, and Amazon WorkSpaces
- Basic Linux commands
- Experience Administering Persona Management solutions: ex. Ivanti AppSense, FSLogix
- VMWare UEM/DEM
- Application Layering technologies: Liquidware ProfileUnity / FlexApp, MSIX AppAttach
- Experience Administering VDI environments (Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop, VMware Horizon View, Microsoft RDS/Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure Virtual Desktop)
- Experience with performance metrics and data collection tools: Lakeside Systrack, Liquidware Stratusphere, RVTools, Splunk, Azure Insights
- Strong knowledge with Windows Operating Systems 10/11 and Windows as a Service
- Experience in all aspects of application and workstation management
- Knowledge of application Packaging, Virtualization & Layering a plus
- Experience operating in a regulated environment, healthcare, banking etc. is a plus
- Knowledge of formal management and design frameworks such as ITIL are a plus
- Experience with Service Design and Systems Hardening a plus
- Strong ability to identify issues in the environment and can efficiently communicate the issues with colleagues and management
- Process oriented and can document work processes and workflows
- Experience with Visio and diagraming tools
- Able to succeed and integrate into a fast paced environment
- Being a critical thinker is required, ability to research and collaborate effectively
- Able to speak and write English at a professional and technically proficient level including understanding of good documentation practices
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, IT, or related discipline
Certification is a plus but not required